Sunday, March 27, 2011

Red Beans and Sausage

I love Cajun Food.. I didn't grow up eating it, but when I started cooking I leaned more toward the spicy side of life :). it has that little bite that makes it so good !
Spicy but not Hot.. I can't remember who gave me this recipe, but it is one of my favorites.
 
 
1 pound red kidney beans
 
1 large onion chopped
 
 
1 bell pepper chopped
 
1 garlic clove minced
 
 
1 pound smoked sausage cut in 1/2 inch pieces
 
1 ham-bone with some meat on it Optional but wonderful to use.
 
 red pepper to taste
 
salt and black pepper to taste
 
 
1 bay leaf
 
 
 
water to cover beans
 
Wash beans. In a large Dutch oven or cast iron pot, cover in cold water and soak overnight. When ready to cook, add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf and ham-bone. Add enough additional water to cover the beans at least 3 inches above their marker. Cook slowly stirring occasionally until beans are tender. Time will vary from 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

In the last 30 minutes of cooking mash some of the beans to thicken the gravy. Add the smoked sausage and season to taste with salt and pepper. The heat may be increased to evaporate excess water if the beans have a too watery gravy or water added to make more gravy. Do stir to prevent sticking.
 
 Serve over steamed rice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment