Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Am I going to fast for you ?


I really get excited when it comes to good food and of course all the memories that go with them.
Not only from growing up, but also from all the years I worked in food service.
I was a deli manager for a few years, and I was the head cook at a little store/lunch counter here in this little one horse town I live in for 12 years.
Lot's of great recipes are bogging my mind, I want to put all of them down now, today! but that is not possible because I cannot type that fast ..lol
My Mom ( I lost her in 1995 ) was a great teacher, I learned a lot from her. She never cooked anything that we didn't like, ( well, except for Pork N Beans, but that was just out of a can and I did not like them at all.. I can tolerate them now, but that's about it!
I learned to put ingredients together and make a recipe my own.
When I got married in 1966, I had to learn different things on my own, Mom was up the road if I got stuck on anything, like the day I decided to boil a pot of cabbage ::: rollin my eyes :::, I cut the cabbage and put it in the pot, then I added the ham hocks and salt and pepper, covered the cabbage with water and let it cook.. As it cooked I noticed it had no smell like cabbage is suppose to have.. Upon checking it, it didn't take long to realize it wasn't cabbage, it was lettuce..lol yup had to throw it out..
Now I know if you want really good cabbage, taste it first ..gigglin
Now I chop yup 4 slices of bacon and throw it in a big skillet, add a little vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the skillet, then I chop up a head of cabbage and when the bacon is crisp I add the cabbage, salt and black pepper ( the pepper is a must in cabbage ), now just keep turning it ( folding it over to coat all of it with the grease from the bacon and oil..  you will know when it is done, it will kinda brown and droop... Looks like it is caramelized. which it is :)
It is so good it will may your mouth soooo happy !
That's what cooking is all about, trials and errors ...
Ok back to the blog.. We can chat another time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment