Saturday, February 25, 2012

Apple Pandowdy

The firest time I made Apple Pandowdy was when I was working at The Olde Store in Gallatin.. Ethel ( my co-worker) and I were standing at the end ofd the lunch counter and she was facing the door and my back was to it.. We were talking and then I saw this look come ovewr her face. I asked what was wrong and she replied OH SH_T, we are fixin to be robbed ! I looked around and here came a man with a sock cap over his face. It was hot outside, The Bosses were at the register, and the man bought a pack of cigarettes and left..Both of us let out our breaths that we were holding.. Ethel said We thought we were getting robbed. So they started telling us that if we did get robbed give thewm anything they wanted, if the want the money, offer to carry the rister out for them.. Me being me saud, will if they want the money ok, but there is noway in hell they will get my Apple Pandowdy.. We had a lot of good laughs over that statement !!!  It really is good enough you won't want to part with it :)  
 

4-1/2 cups thinly sliced, pared cored tart apples, about 1-1/2 lb.

1/2 cup light molasses

3 tbsp. butter or margarine
 

Topping:

2 cups packaged biscuit mix

3 tbsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg
 
3/4 cup milk

 
enough light cream

 
 
       Heat oven to 375ºF
.  Lightly grease an 8x8x2" baking dish.  In medium saucepan, combine apple slices, molasses, butter and 1/4 cup water; bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Turn into baking dish.  Topping:  Combine biscuit mix, sugar and spices in small bowl.  Mix well.  Add milk all at once, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Drop by heaping tbsp. onto hot apple mixture.  Bake 20 minutes, until topping is golden and firm to touch.  Serve warm with cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment