Thursday, September 26, 2013

Red Beans and Rice


1 pound red beans, soaked overnight

1 medium onion, chopped

7 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 rib celery, chopped

1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons tabasco sauce

2 bay leaves

salt and pepper to taste

1 pound smoked sausage cut into 1 inch pieces

Cooked Rice

Drain the beans.  Put them in a large heavy pot and add 3 quarts of
fresh water.  Cover and simmer for one hour.
.  Watch that the water does not boil down too far.  The
beans must be covered with water at all times.  Add the rest of the
ingredients, except for the rice.  Add more water to cover if needed.
Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the liquid has thickened, I take my potato masher or whisk and push thru the beans 4 or 5 times, breaking them up a little, that helps them get thicker but you want juice too so you can soak them p in cornbread.. Yummm  Just watch them, you'll know when they are done..
Serve over rice.
" NOTE "
If I don't have smoked sausage I use bacon cut up and sauted in the pot I am cooking the beens in, I do about 6 or 8 slices, BUT DO NOT POUR THE GREASE OFF.. That flavors the beans.. Sometimes I use pork jowl, ham  or even a package of porkchops, just throw them in the pot thern add beans and all.
 
I always add a jalapeno or 2 also.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment